- class sphinx.builders.Builder[source]
This is the base class for all builders.
These attributes should be set on builder classes:
- name =
The builder’s name, for the -b command line option.
- format =
The builder’s output format, or ‘’ if no document output is produced.
- epilog =
The message emitted upon successful build completion. This can be a printf-style template string with the following keys:
- supported_image_types: List[str] = 
The list of MIME types of image formats supported by the builder. Image files are searched in the order in which they appear here.
- supported_remote_images = False
The builder supports remote images or not.
- supported_data_uri_images = False
The builder supports data URIs or not.
- default_translator_class: Type[docutils.nodes.NodeVisitor] = None
default translator class for the builder. This can be overridden by
These methods are predefined and will be called from the application:
- get_relative_uri(from_: str, to: str, typ: Optional[str] = None) → str[source]
Return a relative URI between two source filenames.
May raise environment.NoUri if there’s no way to return a sensible URI.
- build_specific(filenames: List[str]) None [source]
Only rebuild as much as needed for changes in the filenames.
- build(docnames: Iterable[str], summary: Optional[str] = None, method: str = 'update') → None[source]
Main build method.
First updates the environment, and then calls
These methods can be overridden in concrete builder classes:
- init() None [source]
Load necessary templates and perform initialization. The default implementation does nothing.
- get_outdated_docs() Union[str, Iterable[str]] [source]
Return an iterable of output files that are outdated, or a string describing what an update build will build.
If the builder does not output individual files corresponding to source files, return a string here. If it does, return an iterable of those files that need to be written.
- get_target_uri(docname: str, typ: Optional[str] = None) → str[source]
Return the target URI for a document name.
typ can be used to qualify the link characteristic for individual builders.
- prepare_writing(docnames: Set[str]) None [source]
A place where you can add logic before write_doc() is run
- write_doc(docname: str, doctree: docutils.nodes.document) → None[source]
Where you actually write something to the filesystem.
An EventManager object.