The MicroBlaze is a soft-core processor supported on various Xilinx
FPGAs, such as Spartan or Virtex series. Boards with these processors
usually have JTAG ports which connect to a host system running the Xilinx
Embedded Development Kit (EDK) or Software Development Kit (SDK).
This host system is used to download the configuration bitstream to
the target FPGA. The Xilinx Microprocessor Debugger (XMD) program
communicates with the target board using the JTAG interface and
gdbserver interface to the board. By default
xmd uses port
1234. (While it is possible to change
this default port, it requires the use of undocumented
commands. Contact Xilinx support if you need to do this.)
Use these GDB commands to connect to the MicroBlaze target processor.
target remote :1234
- Use this command to connect to the target if you are running GDB on the same system as
target remote xmd-host:1234
- Use this command to connect to the target if it is connected to
xmdrunning on a different system named
- Use this command to download a program to the MicroBlaze target.
set debug microblaze n
- Enable MicroBlaze-specific debugging messages if non-zero.
show debug microblaze n
- Show MicroBlaze-specific debugging level.